Tuesday, 24 November 2009
Went to one of our favourites this weekend. The Wild Mushroom near Westfield. We had Shirley and Mark (our tennis pals) staying for the weekend so wanted to take them somewhere a bit special.
They all ate the aged fillet of beef with the wild mushroom sauce and I went for the duck. The others loved their beef but my duck was only passable (a bit tough and a bit bland). My starter of thai beef salad, however, was excellent - melt in the mouth beef with a kick of chillie, juxtaposed on a crunchy salad of carrots, onions, coriander, etc. Steve and Shirley had scallops with cauliflower puree and thin slivers of cauliflower which they were very happy with and Mark had the pan fried salmon with mirin and beetroot risotto (as a fish lover he was delighted with the combination of flavours and freshness).
As always canapes, a flavourful amuse bouche (made with herrings - really kick started our taste buds) and wonderful petite fours were provided at the beginning and end of the meal. Service too was attentive and fun.
Sunday, 8 November 2009
Monday, 2 November 2009
I know it's a very contentious subject but I, personally, am looking forward to the opening of the Jerwood Gallery near The Stade in Hastings. I genuinely hope that no damage is done to the traditional fishing fleet and huts as they are part of our heritage and one of the joys of living in the area, but I believe that something which will help breathe fresh life and jobs into this beautiful area must be welcome.
The gallery will open in Summer 2011 and should include the following:
- Gallery spaces for the Jerwood Art Collection of 20th and 21st century British art.
- Gallery spaces for rotating temporary exhibitions from the Jerwood Visual Arts Programme and others specially created for the gallery and in partnership with local and national organisations.
- Sculpture courtyard.
- Education space for schools workshops, classes, seminars and community outreach work developed with local partners.
- Small first-floor café with terrace.
- Research and archive facility.